Tuesday, August 11, 2009

LEMONADE STAND



Claire has been wanting to have a lemonade stand for about a year. I kept putting her off. Well, yesterday I was working on the computer and they were busy playing. Every once in a while they would march through with a big cardboard box, or the tub of markers, but they were staying out of my hair so I didn't pay much attention. When I finished my work, I went to check on them. They had created a lemonade stand.

Claire had made the sign: "Lemonade 3 cents" (complete with a backward 3!). Matthew nailed the sign to the box with about 25 nails (two brads would have done the trick, but it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun, I suppose). And Stella was just proud she was allowed to watch (in their defense, Claire and Matthew probably had to redo their sign a couple of times because of Stella's scribbling habits, and probably had only just banished her to the corner right before I walked in).

Their determination was admirable, so I made some lemonade. I doctored some lemonade Kool-Aid with the two lemons I had. We let it chill for a couple of hours, then hit the driveway.

It was a slow day in the lemonade business. It was a Monday at 3pm, after a thunderstorm. Not much traffic. The kids drank most of the lemonade themselves! But one nice guy on his way home from work bought a cup and paid $5! It wasn't a total bust after all!